Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Agave Nectar - Healthy or Not?

Historically agave nectar was made from the aguamiel of the agave plant. It contains minerals and amino acids and has been used therapeutically. It is healthy as a sweetener.

However, the agave nectar on the health food store shelves today is not really agave nectar, but agave syrup. It is highly processed and many of the nutrients are removed. These sweeteners are very high in fructose. Too much fructose contributes to elevated triglycerides, which is a risk factor for heart disease.

So what sweeteners are healthy to use?

Raw honey has about half the fructose as the agave syrup and pure maple syrup has very little fructose at all. Both of these sweeteners are preferable to the highly processed agave products you find on the grocery store and health food store shelves. Another option is stevia, the Paraguayan variety rather than the Chinese.

Of course, even healthy sweeteners should be used in moderation.

Here are some recipes to treat yourself to healthy sweets.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Hello, I'm new to your blog. Can you share some more information on Stevia? I'm interested in using it as a sweetener - I'm a converted fake sugar addict but am wary of switching to something else without some research. Is it healthy, safe, etc?

Dr. Christine H. Farlow, D.C. said...

Stevia is fine. It is an excellent alternative to sugar or artificial sweeteners.

Deb said...

Hi, I am new to your blog also. I just ordered updated copies of your booklet, Food Additives which I believe has saved our lives many times over in the past 4 years I have been carrying it around.

My question on Agave nectar - I am using Organic Light Agave Nectar (Blue Agave) which is the only ingredient. I purchased this at Costco for a reasonable price where pure maple sugar (esp organic) has gone sky-high. This says it is low glycemic. Is it as good or better than maple syrup?